The Washington Twp. Police Department was established by ordinance in April 1934. William Beppler was appointed the first full time officer. Chief Beppler served as the Township’s first Police Chief until his retirement in 1973. The Township’s Police Department remained a one man department, augmented by part time special officers, until 1948 when a second full time officer was added. That second officer, Chester Johnson, would become the Township’s second Chief of Police in 1973.
The Township Police force began to grow with the town itself in the 1950’s. Additional full time officers were added in 1954, 1955 and 1957, bringing the full time force to five. Two more officers were added in 1961 bringing the department total to nine officers and the police desk began its 24 hour a day, 365 days a year operation. This service continues to this day. Previously, during evening hours, the phones were answered out of town. Officers were added sporadically at the rate of approximately one officer per year. The force jumped from 12 to 16 in 1969 with the addition of four officers. A full-time Detective Division was created in 1970. Since then the force has grown to as many as 25 sworn officers. There are currently 20 officers presently serving.
As of December 2019, the current Chief of Police is Richard Skinner