The Township of Washington Police Department is proud to announce the first edition of the “Township of Washington Police Cop Card” program. This program furnishes the Township of Washington Police Officers with baseball type trading cards. The front of the cards will have the officers photograph and the back of the card will contain a short biography of the officer, as well as a personal message to the children from that officer. The Cop Card program is for children in grades Kindergarten to 8th grade, which does not mean that children of other grades and ages cannot collect the cards. In fact, children of all ages are encouraged to participate.
The Cop Card program is designed to help familiarize the children with the Police Officers in the community as well as establish a trusted bond between the children and the officers. By the officers personally handing out these cards, children will seek out officers and help start to break down the proverbial wall and possible fear that children may have about speaking to an Officer. We are trying to have the children in our community feel comfortable enough to seek out a Police Officer when a parent/guardian is not around if they feel or experience something that they feel isn’t right.
In order to keep the children interested in collecting the cards, when they collect all of the officer’s cards there will be a drawing for various prizes at the conclusion of the program.
- The child must be a resident of the Township of Washington in grades Kindergarten through 8th.
- Upon collecting all twenty (19) officer’s cards, go to the Township of Washington Police Department and have them verified.
- Upon verification of all twenty (19) officers cards, a drawing slip with the student’s name will be completed and placed into the drawing box for the grand prize which will be awarded in June 2019. **The first 20 students to obtain all twenty (19) cards will get a $10.00 gift card** (The child has to hold onto the entire set of cop cards for verification before grand prizes are awarded)
Rules/Guidelines for a Child to Collect the Cards
In order to collect an Officers card, the child must be the one to speak with the Officer. This does not mean the parent/guardian of the child cannot accompany the child when speaking with the officer, but the child must be there to speak with the officer as the whole goal of this program is to have the children feel comfortable enough to approach the Township of Washington Police Officers. Due to the volume of calls we receive and scheduling issues, a child is welcome to come to the Township of Washington Police Department Headquarters to collect cards if an officer is working. We just ask that an Officer is not requested to come to the Police Department solely to give out cop cards.
- If a child loses an officers card, he is more than welcome to approach the officer again and ask for a replacement card.
- A parent cannot ask an officer for the card and collect it for the child.
- No child is to approach an officer while the officer is near his patrol car with lights activated.
- No child is to approach an officer while they appear to be interacting with the public in an official capacity
- No child is to disregard their own safety because they see an officer and need their trading card. Should a child disregard their own safety or that of another, they will not receive a card from that Officer at that time.
- Once all the cards are collected, please contact P.O. Osenbruck at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange verification of the cards for the drawing of the prize.
These rules are made up to protect the children as well as the officer, as the officers have to be focused at all times while on calls and dealing with the public. When an officer is not working, they will not have their trading cards, so please do not ask them for a cop card when they are not working.
Below is a list of Participating Officers!
Children are encouraged to go on the Township of Washington Police website (www.WashTwpPolice.org) or Township of Washington Police Twitter page @WashTwpPolice to check periodically for program updates. Due to the pandemic, the first round of the Township of Washington Police Department Cop Card program will commence at the 2021 Jr. PoliceAcademy, date to be announced. Once all cards are collected, please reach out to P.O. Osenbruck by clicking here to verify the cards.
If you have any questions please contact P.O. Osenbruck at 201-664-1140 or by e-mail at email@example.com.