FAQ’s 2017-05-12T13:12:53+00:00
I have a child who is required to sit in a car seat. Will you help make sure the car seat(s) is/are installed properly? 2017-05-12T16:01:35+00:00

Yes. The Township Police Department currently has three police officers who are trained in the proper use and installation of child passenger safety seats. Call the police desk at 201-664-1140 and ask to make an appointment with one of these officers, or email us at traffic@washtwppolice.org. For more information on child seat safety and the current laws that apply to children of all ages, visit the NJ Division of Highway Traffic Safety website.

Can I sign up for instant notification of emergency situations and public safety information? 2017-05-12T15:58:23+00:00

Yes.  The Township of Washington Police Department sends regular messages to subscribers via Twitter, a social networking website. Subscribers can “follow” the Police Department on Twitter and opt to have messages sent directly to their mobile phone via text message. Please visit twitter.com/washtwppolice for more information.

How do I report a streetlight that is out in my neighborhood? 2017-05-12T15:56:46+00:00

The fastest way to have this resolved is by contacting PSEG directly HERE.  If you prefer, you can notify us at traffic@washtwppolice.org, and we will notify PSE&G.

Can I park my car on the street overnight? 2017-05-12T15:53:53+00:00

Parking on any street, within the Township, is prohibited by local ordinance between the hours of 2am-5am. Permission can be given for special circumstances on a case by case basis. Please call the police desk at 201-664-1140 for parking permission. NO PERMISSION will be given during snow storms, if there is a forecast for snow, or when the streets are still covered in snow following a storm.

I have lost electric power, what should I do? 2017-05-12T15:52:48+00:00

Power outages, Telephone service disruptions, residential water supply problems, or any other utility questions should be directed to the specific utility. PSE&G can be reached at 800-436-7734, Suez Water at 800-422-5987 or 201-487-0011 (After hours), Verizon at 800-VERIZON, Cablevision – 201-262-8600. All WIRE DOWN incidents should be reported immediately to the Police.

How do I find out about school closings due to weather? 2017-05-12T15:43:35+00:00

Any change in the normal opening of school will be signaled by sounding the towns’ siren systems at 6:30, 7:00, and 7:30 A.M.  Specific information about the changes for the day can be obtained in any of the following ways:

  • By logging onto the District Website at www.wwrsd.org.
  • By calling the District Switchboard – 201-664-0880.
  • By contact through School Messenger phone call.
  • By receiving a district e-mail (you must be a subscriber to district E-Newsletter).
  • By logging onto the NJ 101.5 website.
Our Policy and Mission Statement. 2018-09-19T10:46:01+00:00
My pet is missing, who can I call? 2017-05-12T15:36:25+00:00

All animal calls within the Township are handled by TYCO Animal Control. They can be reached at 201-507-8330. TYCO will assist residents with pest and rodent problems within the home for a fee. The Washington Twp. Police Department will also assist in locating the animal if we are notified.

Where do I go to apply for a Handicapped Parking Permit? 2017-05-12T15:30:57+00:00

Temporary Handicapped Permits are available at police headquarters.  The applicant’s physician must complete a portion of the application.  Permits are valid for 6 months and may be renewed for one additional 6 month period.  There is a fee of $4.00, payable by check made out to “N.J. Motor Vehicle Commission.”

Permanent Handicapped Parking placards and plates are issued by the N.J. Motor Vehicle Commission and those applications are available on the MVC website or at any MVC office.

At what hours can I pick up Police records? 2017-05-12T15:28:28+00:00

Records may be picked up at any time, the police desk is open 24 hours a day. Requests for police records under the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) must go through the Township of Washington Clerk’s Office. Please see the Township of Washington’s website for additional information.

Do I have to register my residential/business burglar alarm with the police Department? 2017-09-15T14:47:51+00:00

Yes. All burglar alarms within the township must be registered with the Police Department. Alarm Registration.

How do I provide the Police Department with emergency contact and special needs information for my household? 2017-05-12T15:24:13+00:00

Print and complete this form and return it to police headquarters. All of the information provided is considered sensitive and is used only as a tool to provide the best possible emergency services to the residents of the township. If you do not have access to a printer, copies of the form are available at police headquarters.

Who do I call for an ambulance or the Fire Department? 2017-05-12T15:04:52+00:00

The Police Department dispatches all of the Township’s emergency services; including Police, fire, and ambulance.  For Emergency situations simply dial 9-1-1. The non-emergency phone number for the police desk is 201-664-1140.

I need directions to the police station, where can I find them? 2017-05-11T18:40:50+00:00

Follow this link, directions, and enter your starting point. The online map will give you step by step directions to Washington Twp Police Headquarters.