EMERGENCY = DIAL 9-1-1
Township of Washington Police Department
The Township of Washington Police, in partnership with the governing body, is committed to identify and solve problems that threaten the quality of life within the Township. To this end, the Department is also committed to the efficient suppression of criminal and drug related activity, and to provide a secure environment for our residents. This will be accomplished through vigorous enforcement.
The Washington Twp. Police Department was established by ordinance in April 1934. William Beppler was appointed the first full time officer. Chief Beppler served as the Township’s first Police Chief until his retirement in 1973. The Township’s Police Department remained a one man department, augmented by part time special officers, until 1948 when a second full time officer was added. That second officer, Chester Johnson, would become the Township’s second Chief of Police in 1973.
The Township Police force began to grow with the town itself in the 1950’s. Additional full time officers were added in 1954, 1955 and 1957, bringing the full time force to five. With the 1961 addition of two officers bringing the force to nine, the police desk began 24 hour a day operation. Previously, during night hours the phones were answered out of town. Personnel were added sporadically at the rate of approximately one officer per year. The force jumped from 12 to 16 in 1969 with the addition of four officers. A full time Detective Division was created in 1970. Since then the force has grown to as many as 25 sworn officers, with 21 officers presently serving.
The Department has had five Chiefs:
Randy Ciocco - 2010 to 2014
Glenn Hooper - 2014 - Present
For Questions, Comments, or Concerns, please contact us at
[ Home | Administration | Traffic | Patrol | Investigative | Community Policing | Community Watch | DARE | Municipal Alliance ]
© 2010, Township of Washington Police Department. All rights reserved.