Recently there has been a rise in motor vehicle thefts in Bergen County, New Jersey… especially in our surrounding towns. In the majority of these cases, stolen vehicles have been left unlocked by the owner with a key fob left in the car allowing a thief to immediately drive it away. There has also been not only a rise in attempts to enter, but an increase in vehicles being entered recently. Unlocked vehicles that do not have a key fob inside are being entered and also searched for valuables.
We ask you to take simple, proactive steps to discourage thieves who roam our neighborhood at night, checking vehicles to determine whether they are locked or not.
Here are just a few tips that will help protect your car from being stolen or entered:
- Vehicles should never be left unlocked.
- Never leave a key/ key fob in a vehicle.
- Neighbors should watch out for neighbors. Call your neighbor if you see that their car is unlocked or valuables are visible inside the vehicle.
- Report any suspicious activity or person.
- Make sure your vehicle is parked in a well lit area
- Never leave your vehicle running unattended
- Call 911 to report crimes in progress. Do not wait until after the incident occurs.
- Follow our #9PMROUTINE
Vehicles that are taken are often driven recklessly, thereby endangering our community and others. They are also often used to commit serious crimes. Just as a reminder, when posting an incident to our social media platforms, please also report it to us first by calling 201-664-1140.
As always, report suspicious activity immediately by calling the Township of Washington Police Department at 201-664-1140 or by calling 9-1-1