The Township of Washington Police Department is urging residents to not leave their vehicles running unattended, remove keys and key fobs and most important of all lock your vehicles at all times.
Recently there has been a rise in motor vehicle thefts in Bergen County, New Jersey, especially in our surrounding towns. One of the various methods criminals are utilizing is an advance technology to detect if a key fob is left in a vehicle. Thieves are also looking for indicators to which vehicles are unlocked, for example modern high-end vehicles side mirrors will fold in when the vehicle is locked. Thieves are also taking vehicles that are left running unattended out of residential driveways. However, even when posting to our social media platforms, please report it to the Police first by calling us 201-664-1140. That way we can handle the incident in a timely manner.
Here are just a few tips that will help protect your car from being stolen or broken into:
1) Do not leave your car unlocked
2) Do not leave a spare key or key fob inside your vehicle
3) Do not leave your windows open
4) Make sure you park in a well lit area
5) Keep your registration and insurance card with you, not in your vehicle
6) Store your valuables out of sight, leave nothing in view
7) Never leave your car running unattended
Always report suspicious activity immediately by calling the Township of Washington Police Department at 201-664-1140 or by calling 9-1-1